Whitbread plc is a multinational British hotel and restaurant company headquartered in Houghton Regis, England.
The Company is organized into a single business segment, Premier Inn. Premier Inn provides services in relation to accommodation and food both in the United Kingdom and internationally. The Company's restaurant brands include Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, Table Table, Cookhouse & Pub, Bar + Block, Premier Inn, hub, and Thyme.
The Company operates over 800 Premier Inn hotels and over 80,000 rooms across the United Kingdom. Its subsidiaries include Whitbread Group PLC, Premier Inn Hotels Limited, Premier Inn Kier Limited, Silk Street Hotels Limited, Elm Hotel Holdings Limited, Brickwoods Limited, Duttons Brewery Limited, and Silk Street Hotels Limited.
Whitbread is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
(Wowtimes) Whitbread’s history and achievements
- 1742: The business was formed as a brewery when Samuel Whitbread formed a partnership with Godfrey and Thomas Shewell.
- 1750: Samuel Whitbread created the first purpose-built mass-production brewery in the UK.
- 1780s: Whitbread had become the largest brewery in the world.
- 1870: The company had begun producing bottled beers for sale and continued to expand production.
- 1889: The company become a registered limited liability company.
- 1948: The company was first listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- 1971: Whitbread became Britain's third-largest brewer by output.
- 1974: Whitbread opened its first Beefeater. Beefeater now has 140 restaurants across the UK.
- 1979: Brewers Fayre, a pub-restaurant brand, was created. There are around 145 pubs across the country.
- 1987: Whitbread opened its first travel inn
- 1990s: The company diversified into other hospitality holdings and invested in new ventures, including Beefeater, Pizza Hut, Berni Inns, Heineken Steak Bars, and TGI Fridays.
- 2001: Whitbread decided to sell all its breweries and brewing interests (Whitbread Beer Company) to Interbrew, now known as InBev.
- 2008: Table Table brand was launched. There are around 100 sites in the UK.
- 2014: The Whitbread Inns brand of restaurants was created by Whitbread.
- 2016: First Premier Inn hotel opened in Germany, Frankfurt.