Sodexo (formerly Sodexho Alliance) is a French food services and facilities management company headquartered in the Paris suburb of Issy-les-Moulineaux. It has 412,088 employees as of 2021, operates in 55 countries, and serves 100 million customers on a daily basis. It is Europe’s second-largest company of its type by both numbers of employees and revenue after Compass Group.
Sodexo serves many sectors, including private corporations, government agencies, schools from preschool through university (including seminaries and trade schools), hospitals and clinics, assisted-living facilities, military bases, and prisons.
(Wowtimes)Sodexo’s History andAchievements
- 1966: The company was launched by Pierre Bellon in Marseille, France, initially serving company restaurants, schools, and hospitals under the name Société d'Exploitation Hotelière.
- 1967: Sodexho wins its first contract in the “multiservice” market with the CNES in French Guiana. This signaled Sodexho’s entry into the remote site management business.
- 1971: Sodexho serves its first school meals during a year when the company also won contracts in companies and government services.
- 1971 – 1978: Sodexho launches in new countries with contract wins in Belgium, Italy and Spain, as well as further developments in Africa and the Middle East. A new business (service vouchers) is also launched in Belgium.
- 1983: Sodexho is listed on the Paris stock exchange.
- 1985 – 1993: Sodexho establishes operations in North and South America, Japan, Russia and South Africa, while also reinforcing its presence in Continental Europe.
- 1988: For the first time, Sodexho provided food services for all the athletes, staff and journalists at the Calgary Olympics.
- 1996: Sodexho launches Stop Hunger, a program that affirms the company’s commitment to the fight against hunger.
- 2002: Sodexho enters the New York Stock Exchange in the same year the Euro enters the Stock Market.
- 2008: Sodexho becomes Sodexo.
- 2011: Sodexo becomes the number one on-site services provider in Brazil, Russia, India and China
- 2020: Sodexo takes action to proactively manage the impacts of COVID-19 with a focus on the safety and health of our employees, clients, consumers and the well-being of the communities.
According to Wikipedia/ sodexo