Haribo is a German confectionery company founded by Hans Riegel Sr. It began in Kessenich, Bonn, Germany. The name "Haribo" is a syllabic abbreviation formed from Hans Riegel Bonn. The current headquarters are in Grafschaft, Germany.
Haribo has expanded its product line over the years to include a variety of other gummy candies, such as Happy Cherries, Cola Gummy Bottles, and Star Mix. The company also produces a variety of other confectionery products, such as licorice, lollipops, and marshmallows.
- 1920: Hans Riegel Sr. founded HARIBO (HAns RIegel BOnn) and launched his sweets production in a small kitchen with nothing more than a sack of sugar, a marble slab, a stool, a stove, a copper pot, and a rolling pin.
- 1922: Hans Riegel laid the first foundation stone for HARIBO’s success when he invented the DANCING BEAR – a fruit gummy bear that would one day become world-famous as the legendary HARIBO Goldbear.
- 1925: Hans Riegel began producing liquorice products. Liquorice sticks with HARIBO lettering are one of the first customer favorites, soon followed by many other specialties such as the world-famous Liquorice Wheels of today.
- 1933: The company grew into a solid medium-sized company with 400 employees.
- 1950: HARIBO was rebuilt and employed around 1,000 people, just five years after the war.
- 1960: The company created the first gummy candy in the form of little gummy bears called Gummibärchen.
- 1967: HARIBO Goldbears hit the market and was officially recognized as a registered trademark.
- 1982: Haribo’s products stated to be imported into the United States
- 1992: Haribo entered the UK sweets market
- 1995: HARIBO set up a production facility in Spain.
- 2009: The Juicy Goldbears were launched, with their soft consistency and now 25% fruit juice. The product was presented with the HIT 2009 award by the industry magazine LEBENSMITTEL PRAXIS.
- 2016: Haribo opened new production facilities in Castleford, West Yorkshire, UK
- 2017: Haribo announced the opening of its first United States factory in Wisconsin
- 2019: Juicy Goldbears was named ‘Bestseller 2019’ by the magazine RUNDSCHAU für den Lebensmittelhandel.
- 2023: Haribo products are sold in over 100 countries worldwide. The company is one of the largest confectionery companies in the world. Haribo is also one of the most popular candy brands in the world.
According to Wikipedia