The Group primarily invests in companies operating in technology, energy, and financial sectors, and also invests in fields such as broadband, fixed-line telecommunications, e-commerce, media and marketing, and other areas. It also runs the Vision Fund, the world's largest technology-focused venture capital fund, with over $100 billion in capital.
SoftBank was ranked in the 2017 Forbes Global 2000 list as the 36th largest public company in the world and the second-largest publicly traded company in Japan after Toyota..
The company's milestones:
- In 1981: SoftBank was founded as a SOFTBANK Corp by Masayoshi Son, initially as a software distributor..
- In 1982: Entered publishing business, launching Oh! PC and Oh! MZ.
- In 1994: Established SoftBank Holdings Inc. in the U.S..
- In 1996: Established Yahoo Japan Corporation through joint investment with Yahoo! Inc. in the U.S..
- In 1998: SoftBank Corp. listed on the First Section of Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- In 2000:
Investment in Alibaba.com Corporation.
SoftBank Ventures Asia was founded to focus on investment in Korean-based Internet companies.
- In 2004: Acquired shares of JAPAN TELECOM CO., LTD and entered fixed-line telecommunications business.
- In 2005: SoftBank became the owner of the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, a Nippon Professional Baseball team.
- In 2006: SoftBank acquired Vodafone Japan (later renamed SoftBank Mobile Corp.) and purchased a 23% stake in Betfair.
- In 2008: SoftBank Mobile Corp. released iPhone 3G.
- In 2011: Established SB Energy Corp. to promote the increased adoption of renewable energy.
- In 2013: Acquired U.S.-based Sprint; Bought a controlling stake in French company Aldebaran Robotics, which was rebranded SoftBank Robotics.
- In 2014: SoftBank Mobile Corp. (current SoftBank Corp.) and ALDEBARAN Robotics SAS (current SoftBank Robotics Europe SAS) announced Pepper – the world's first humanoid robot that can recognize human faces and emotions.
- In 2015: Company name of SoftBank Corp. changed to SoftBank Group Corp., and company name of SoftBank Mobile Corp. changed to SoftBank Corp.
- In 2016: Acquired UK-based ARM Holdings as a subsidiary.
- In 2017: Acquired U.S.-based Fortress Investment Group LLC.
- In 2019: SoftBank Group Corp. established new fund focusing on Latin America and launched SoftBank Vision Fund 2
- In 2021: SoftBank Group Corp. has relocated its headquarters to the Tokyo Portcity Takeshiba Office Tower in the Takeshiba area of Minato-ku, Tokyo.
According to group.softbank, en.wikipedia.org