Britannia Industries Limited is an Indian company specialised in food industry, part of the Wadia Group headed by Nusli Wadia. Founded in 1892 and headquartered in Kolkata, it is one of India's oldest existing companies and best known for its biscuit products.
The company sells its Britannia and Tiger brands of biscuits, breads and dairy products throughout India and abroad.
(Wowtimes)Britannia’s history andachievements
- 1892: The company was established by a group of British businessmen. Initially, biscuits were manufactured in a small house in central Kolkata.
- 1918: C.H. Holmes, an English businessman based in Kolkata, was taken on as a partner and The Britannia Biscuit Company Limited (BBCo) was launched.
- 1921: Britannia became the first company east of the Suez Canal to use imported gas ovens. Britannia's business was flourishing. But more importantly Britannia was acquiring a reputation for quality and value.
- 1952: Automatic plants were installed in Calcutta. The development of high quality sliced and wrapped bread in India was initiated by the company and was first manufactured at Delhi.
- 1955: Britannia launched the Bourbon biscuit in India.
- 1976: The company had introduced Britannia bread in Calcutta and Chennai.
- 1979: The company name was changed to the current Britannia Industries Limited
- 1990: Two new brands of biscuits, Elaichi Cream and Petit Beurre are launched. A new Cashew Badam variant of the brand Milk Bikis and Pure Magic biscuit vanilla flavour is launched.
- 1997: Britannia launched its Dairy products. Britannia also launched Tiger biscuits, Chekkers and Jim Jams.
- 2001: Britannia Industries launched Britannia Milkman Milk in Delhi. Britannia was acknowledged as No.1 food brand of India by Economic Times Brand Equity survey.
- 2011: Britannia received the Most Respected Company Award 2011 from Businessworld. Bourbon received the Most Popular Confectionery Product Preferred By Youth (Biscuit) Award.
- 2014: An exclusive tie-up with Amazon for the launch of its latest product Good Day Chunkies, a super-premium chocolate chip cookie.
- 2022: Britannia Industries entered into a joint venture agreement with Bel SA of France and Britannia Dairy Private Limited (BDPL) to develop, manufacture and sell cheese products in India and other markets. The company expanded its product portfolio by entering the Western Snacking market with the launch of its new product, Treat Croissant.